Technical Fibre Testing Services
Dia-Stron’s instrumentation range has been developed for measurements on two distinct fibre types — man-made and natural. Man-made fibre examples include carbon, ceramic, glass, basalt, aramid, quartz or polymeric such as polyethylene and textiles (polyester). Natural fibres comprise of plant-based fibres such as flax, bamboo, sisal, coco, hemp, jute and cotton, as well as animal-based fibres including wool, hair and silk.
Our dedicated contract testing laboratory offers dimensional and tensile measurement studies for both man-made and natural fibres, and dependant on the fibre properties additional studies can be undertaken for bending, torsion and cyclic fatigue. Single fibre testing is recognized as the most reliable and unambiguous means of characterising fibres and filaments, when compared to tow, bundle or yarn testing.
Examples of technical fibre studies:
- Tensile properties of single fibres such as elastic modulus, break stress/strain
- Interfacial shear strength properties between filaments and resins
- Evaluation of cross-sectional swelling of natural fibres whilst immersed in water
- Fatigue survivability of textile fibres: S/N curves, Weibull and Kaplan Meier analyses
- Assessment of anisotropy of polymeric fibres: tensile, bending and torsion deformations
What’s included in our contract testing service:
- We will test fibres in line with pre-agreed methodologies that fulfil your requirements.
- You will receive a full test report including statistical analysis.
- Our industry experts can also provide additional feedback to help you evaluate your results.
Whatever your needs, we can work with you to devise the most appropriate testing protocols for your requirements. Our testing services are priced per group of samples, with prices varying according to the group quantity, and are fully inclusive of sample mounting, consumables and all testing requested.
Our timescales are extremely competitive, contact us today for a bespoke quotation and lead time!